Saturday, September 20, 2014

My introduction to this blog (aka the "About Me")

     Welcome to my blog! If you're here, you've probably already had a taste of my writing - whether it's one of my notes or statuses on Facebook. I don't really have a focus for this; I'm not travelling anywhere, I don't take beautiful photos to share with the world, and it's not like I'm documenting some major stage in my life. I just like to write. What about?
    Well, I have my fair share of stories, an interesting perspective (at least from what I've been told), more thoughts than I know what to do with, and - at least going by the reaction of my audience (...that's you) - an engaging writing style. Where's it come from, you might ask? Well it's actually a pretty interesting story (and the first of this blog, hooray!).
     When I was just in elementary school, I started reading Harry Potter. I can't remember where it came from first. Either my brother brought it home for his class and I picked it up from him, or we started reading it in Ms. Blevins' 4th grade class (both of those things happened, I'm just not sure in what order). In any case, I came to love the world she created and pretty much grew up with the series. I cried when I watched the last installment in theaters (Seriously.). So anyways, a few years later in middle school, I eventually learned that JK Rowling's writing coach (who she gives a ton of credit to) lived JUST around the block from me! So my middle school self goes to her house, introduces myself, and asks her to teach me how to write.
      ...hahaha, just kidding. In truth, this is me, wondering where I got my writing style from --->  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The only thing I really remember about my writing skills is that when I was younger, one of my teachers advised me (and the rest of the class, actually) to write the way we speak. I guess it stuck, because I don't remember getting any other advice on writing. So here I am, writing the way I speak.
     So why the blog? Well, I've never considered myself a very creative person. and while I might be able to appreciate art in many forms - plays, movies, books, paintings - I haven't got a creative bone in my body. At least, that's what I believed; that was before I thought about what it means to be creative. Which, according to Merriam Webster, is "having or showing an ability to make new things or think of new ideas." And I thought... well, I can write. So this blog is me showing my ability to make something new/being creative/expressing myself to the world. I can't sing. I can't dance. And I am definitely not making an NFL roster, ever (...I just cried a little on the inside).
     But there are two things I love doing: 1) making people smile and 2) making them think. So whatever it is I'm sharing - whether it's a short story, an editorial, or anything else I might come up with - hopefully it induces at least one of those. So stay tuned, and you might find something you like.

Minh

P.S. I'm open to suggestions for the blog name. Leave a comment if you've got anything for me

No comments:

Post a Comment