Monday, October 10, 2016

An (Extremely) Informal Poll Regarding Our 2016 Presidential Candidates

     This last Friday, my warm-up for the first 5 minutes of class was "What do you think of the presidential candidates? Why do you think that? Use at least 3 complete sentences." Here are the results, transcribed by yours truly. For a selection of high schoolers, I feel like their responses accurately capture the concerns of many Americans. But what do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 "There both retarted. Because there both crazy. They both have stupied ideas" This sentiment was pretty common - many of the students and people on my FB feed are disenchanted by both candidates.
 "I think that we don't have much of a election. We should have better people to pick from. I just think it's a waste of time" Again, not a fan of either candidate.
 "I think this year presidental candidates are the worst ever. We are screwed this year for president. Both Trump and Clinton shouldn't be president." ...and again.
"1. I think that Hililary Clinton will ruin the United States.
  2. I think that Hiliary Clinton will be too much emotional to rule the country.
  3. Donald Trump doesnt have a period so he dont get mad easy once a month."
First (and only) response I saw that detailed how Hillary's status as a woman will so clearly screw the United State.
 "I do not like Hillary. I love Donald Trump. I think he is going to do a good job if he keeps his mouth shut." ...but he can't keep his mouth shut??
"I think Hillary Clinton should win. Donald Trump is not the president I want to have. Hillary is planning to take guns and I dont argree with it but she better than Donald." This student is going with the lesser of 2 evils approach. I think there are a lot of people with this feeling as well
 "I think they are both not suitable for the job. They both make fools of themselves. However, it is fun to watch because they make fun of each other." Isn't this the sole reason anybody is still tuning in to the debate...?
 "I think they're both bad. One of them are racist (Trump). Hilary can't be trusted. Both are not good with people." I'm not sure how anyone who isn't good with people can become the nominee for their respective parties...?
 I don't like either of them. Hillary doesn't seem to be firm in what she believes and Donald is terrible towards women, pocs, disabled, in general trash, etc."
Doesn't like either of them, Trump is an asshole, etc. etc.
 "I do not like trump or hilary. I don't want neither one of them to win because they are both irresponsible." No love for either candidate yet again!
 "It's sad wha that The choices we have to choose from are ridiculous. They are both immature. Our country is screwed either way." Note: The student asked "Am I gonna get written up if I use the word 'screwed' in my answer?"
 "I'm not sure what I think. Not sure what I think because they aren't good. Half of my family aren't voting this year." The candidates are so bad they're driving voters away! :(
 "Terrible because they are bad people who are trying to ruin the world. All Trump wants to do is talk down on people. All Hillary wants to do is make herself look good." This "both candidates are shitty" theme is real real strong for this group....
 "I think we're screwed. Cause they are both bad people. Who ever wins the election is bad either way" You get the point if you've made it all the way down here. But there's a few gems if you keep going to the end!
 "I think we need to get new people. There are no right answers. I think they're both terrible"
 "They are both horrible. Trump is arrogant. Clinton is an email deleting liar"
 "I hope Trump looses b/c he has bad ideas and he is racist. Actually IDK anything about the election. :(" This kid's a real one. I don't know anything about the election yet (either), kid!
 "They are all garbage trash. I'm tired of only two parties. Third parties have no chance." Honestly, I don't know how old I was when the idea (finally) entered my mind that not every country in the world was governed in the same way and that some had more than two parties.
 "I think Trump will be elected. I think this because Clinton is a woman. Then again I do not know anything about politics"
 "I think no matter who win the world just won't be okay. Both candidnates aren't that good. But I think + hope Hillary win."
 "Our presidential candidates suck. I like Trump more than Hillary because she's an idiot. They should build that wall." Haha, taking the lesser of 2 evils went the other way this time. And this is the only mention of the wall I saw all day!
"I don't care about either! Personally, I feel like america should be single for a few years :). God for president #2k16. #MakeAmericagreatagain" Aaaand another answer to really reinforce the idea that these students are not having anything to do with either candidate! Punctuated with a great face and a couple hashtags. Excellent work.

No comments:

Post a Comment